International Gaming since 1935
Casino Kitzbühel, which opened on 22 December 1934, was the third Austrian casino after Baden (early 1934) and Salzburg (summer 1934). After a 16-year pause it reopened for the winter season on 25 December 1954 with two French roulette double tables and one baccarat table.
Since its earliest days it has been housed at the traditional Hotel Goldener Greif. The building, which was constructed in 1274, is one of the most attractive in the town and has been family-owned for over 100 years. The first inn under the present name, run by the mayor Franz Kriegseisen, dates back to 1590.
Major construction work was undertaken in 1989. Starting on 17 April, it was complete by 25 December, just in time for the start of the winter season. The official opening took place on 18 January 1990.
The ambiance of Casino Kitzbühel owes much to the artwork on the theme of gaming. From the entrance area visitors pass through a spacious foyer with handcrafted works by local artists, including four massive sculptures by Karl Obleitner which give a sense of lightness in spite of the heavy materials (steel and cement) used. Lighting effects and mirrors make the room appear even higher. These effects are continued throughout the rest of the casino, where the gaming theme is again much in evidence.