Casino Salzburg, the second Austrian casino, opened on 1 July 1934 in Schloss Mirabell. It closed down during the Second World War and reopened in July 1950. As it grew larger, it became necessary to move to new premises and so the casino took up residence in 1977 in Café Restaurant Winkler on the Mönchsberg overlooking the city. More and more visitors came to the casino and new games were introduced so that a further enlargement became necessary. The additional premises at Schloss Klessheim were so popular that Casinos Austria decided to make it the casino’s permanent home.